Owner: Tim Hollins
Open Launch. Construction: Double-skin teak, inner diagonal.
Built 1897 by Thames Ironworks & Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. at Blackwall
LOA: 23' 0", Beam: 6' 6", Draft: 2' 3",
Transom stern, Britannia Blue.
Gunboat type DT Built 1981 by David Curwen at Devizes
Fuel: Coal, Pressure: 130 psi, Heating area: 44 sqft,
Welded with rolled in fire tubes construction,
condensing, engine driven pump, forced draft fan, hand pump, whistle,
77 x .7/8" id tubes x 21" long, shell 24" dia x 42" long, belt driven fan from main engine.
Shaft: 1 1/4" bronze
Built as Admiralty Cutter No.438, appropriated to HMS ESPIÈGLE, then hospital ship HMHS MAINE. With the Maine she was used to support British troops in both the Boer War (Capetown) and the Boxer Rebellion in China. Shortly before war was declared in 1914 the Maine was wrecked on Mull on the west coast of Scotland. S.C. 438 was recovered and sent to Portsmouth Dockyard. She was decommissioned in the 1920s and converted to a motor cruiser. c1974 derelict hull acquired by Dr Roger Stevens, Yelverton. Hull restored and new steam plant fitted and re-commisioned c 1997. Acquired by Peter and Tim Hollins 1999. Original design drawings, specification and steam trial records found and cutter restored by owners to original configuration. Engine replaced with one identical to original, at the Maritime Workshop, Gosport. Cutter recommissioned Portsmouth Harbour 2008.