Status: Active use


Canal inspection launch. Construction: Riveted iron.
Hull model: Directors designed by Fielding and Platt Limited at Gloucester in 1869
Built 1870 by Fielding and Platt Limited at Gloucester
LOA: 54' 0", LWL: 49' 0", Beam: 10' 6", Draft: 3' 6",
Straight stem, counter stern, midships saloon. black and white topworks.


2-drum WT Built 1988 by Historic Steam Limited at Kew Bridge Steam Museum
Fuel: Oil, Pressure: 150 psi,
Top drum 15" id, bottom drum 7¾" id x 25½" long, 3 downcomer tubes 1¼" id x 40", 80 x ¾" id tubes 41" long, casing 4' 2" high x 4' wide x 2' long, separate Beccles No.2 donkey fp. Originally coal fired


Compound. 4 1/2" + 7" X 7 1/2"
Built 1959 by William Sisson and Company Limited at Gloucester
pv on HP, sv on LP valve. SLRG valve gear.
Engine No. 5986. On 6 turned columns, 15 IHP at 200 rpm.


3 blades, 32" X 43"
Shaft: 2" Stainless Steel


Built for Gloucester and Berkeley Canal Company, serving as the Directors' and Engineer's Inspection Launch until 1942. Then sold and converted to motor in 1944. Subsequently used on the River Servern, before making passage via the English Channel to the River Thames, continuing as a houseboat on the Grand Union Canal c. 1955-75. Put back in steam 1975-8. Much used on the River Thames 1995 - 2018. Engine was built and used for instruction at Loughborough Technical College before acquisition and installation onboard.

Last Modified: 2019.04.03.

Download as a PDF

(Robin Ford) Henley, 1996


(Bob Shearer) Thames Rally 2003

(Bob Shearer) Thames Rally 2003